PestPac is WorkWave’s core SasS offering and the #1 Pest Control software solution for Pest Control services. The goal of the re-design was to evaluate the core functionality within the existing web-app to create a scalable, modern, accessible next generation native application for both IOS and Android to maximize productivity.
We focused on a few primary elements: allowing critical data and functionality to be accessible both online and offline, and to provide enhanced functionality that’s easy to use and has a clean and simple user interface — optimized for speed.
Research + Discovery
In order to evaluate the current app I began crafting persona’s for the entire PestPac product line — from Technicians to Admins to better understand them and their needs. By going through this exercise we realized that we had to take a step back and focus on the company types due to the fact that the company type dictates the types of roles and tasks required; Commercial vs Residential. We conducted internal and external stakeholder workshops and focus groups to better understand our users.
It allowed the team to hone in on the core experience and functionality and as a result we ended up with a robust set of company and user persona’s as well as an experience map that helped us better understand each role and their day-to-day activity.
I conducted several ride alongs and watched the Technicians complete services for both residential and commercial services. It allowed me to understand their workflow, pain points and motivators. It validated the fact that Technicians need to get in and out of our app, and they need to be made away of uncompleted tasks and/or conditions that will impact them in a negative way; i.e. Quality Assurance Audits and unhappy customers.
By building out persona’s and understanding the workflow for the Technician it allowed us to better identify and prioritize features based on users needs and business goals as a team.
One primary goal between WorkWave’s 5 mobile products was to create reusable patterns since many of our apps shared similar functionality. This will allow for efficiencies in design and development, and a faster go-to-market strategy and most importantly users didn’t have to re-learn the same features as they interacted with multiple WorkWave products.
First, I had to dig deep and understand how the admin desktop app spoke to the mobile app by creating a workflows for every feature I worked on that illustrates how to two apps work together and how the mobile app functions on its own.
When I first started the project I crafted a journey map to understand how the current web-app works and as I began designing the native app I used that as my base to start with and evolved it based what we were developing or what had been depreciated.
Our native app allowed Pest Control Technicians to view and schedule services, view and complete tasks associated to every service, add new leads and customers, time-in and time-out everyday, and schedule vacation time.
Technicians can also scan devices in both large and small facilities, view past services, add notes, materials, conditions, task and much more.
By creating a walk through it provides WorkWave with the opportunity to create a branded user experience that allows us to communicate insights about what our app can do when an impactful release has been made. It’s a quick and easy way to teach and influence the way our users interact with our app. By communicating the updates made on a regular cadence it allowed us to build trust and confidence with our users. It’s also an engaging way to get users excited about using new features.
I used subtle personalized interactions throughout the app to help motivate, communicate progress and tasks.
With my vast experience in creating Design Systems and building Design Languages I took the opportunity to audit, re-design and unify all of the WorkWave user interface icons to create consistency and reuse.
Prior to this project WorkWave did not have any form of testing in place and this was a great opportunity to craft a formal testing strategy and process. During the lifecycle of this project I met weekly with cross-functional team members to craft a process that would allow us to engage with users through survey’s, unmoderated user testing, and focus groups and events to get immediate feedback on specific aspects of the user experience that have high-levels of risk and impact to our users.
I researched and tested multiple testing software options and due to budgetary constraints we purchased Optimal Workshop. Optimal Workshop allowed us to collaborate with our users through a multitude of touchpoint’s, establishing insightful and actionable results. For this particular project it allowed me to test time on task, abandoned rates, task completion, clicks and used a heat map to understand where our users clicked in order to complete a task.